Finding the Peace that Passes Understanding

Have you ever been in a situation and told yourself, "I wish I could just find peace about this?" Or have you ever gone through your day in constant worry, not knowing how a situation or circumstance is going to turn out? I know I sure have.

Confession time: Sometimes I find myself worrying over the smallest things that are completely out of my power and/or control. And then there are times when I begin to worry that I'm not worried about anything, lol. How terrible is that?


Worry is a battle I have fought for as long as I can remember. I have always been one of those students who constantly worried about her grades (I know, I know, nerd alert). I have worried that I have offended someone by my words or actions. I have worried about the future and what it holds. I have worried about the health of family members. I have worried about approaching deadlines. I have worried about being a good role model for others. 

Well, you know what? I am DONE worrying. Know why? Because worry is not of the Lord. If we truly 100% place our faith and trust in the Maker of all things, then there is absolutely positively no need for worry. It is only through Christ that we completely find the peace that passes all understanding. 


You've heard it a thousand times... "Don't worry."
Easier said than done, right? 
How exactly do we not worry? And how do we find that peace which transcends all understanding? 

I wanted to lay out a few Biblical principles that have helped me tremendously in overcoming my struggle with worrying and helped me fully accept the peace God has for me. 


Steps to overcoming worry and accepting peace:

1. First, you must secure your faith and trust in Jesus Christ by accepting Him as your personal Savior.
Without a personal relationship with Christ, there is no way we can attain the peace we so desperately search for. On our own, we are incredibly weak, but by accepting Christ, we receive the power of the living God inside of us.

Peace is not promised to everyone. 
"There is no peace for the wicked," says the Lord. Isaiah 48:22 
It is only promised to those who believe. 
"The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses his people with peace." Psalm 29:11


2. Believe that God is self-sufficient and in control.
If you're anything like me, you like to be in control of your life. You like to be the one who has the power over controlling what has happened or what's coming next in your life. That is totally the human nature coming out in us. I have found in my own life that every time I try to take control, things start going wrong. Quick. So, we must transfer that control to the One who should always have it.

We don't have to manipulate people or situations for our own good.
"Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble." Psalm 119:165
We don't have to be anxious about God's provision for us.
"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19


3. Know that God works all things together for your good.
When we face trials and tribulations, I think several people jump to the conclusion that God is out to get them because things are going wrong in their lives. Nothing could be farther from the truth. God loves us more than we could ever possibly imagine and wants nothing but the absolute best for us. Just as an earthly father will do anything (whether it's through praise, discipline, etc.) for the good of his child, the same goes for our Heavenly Father. 

We don't have to worry about the way things will turn out.
"And we know that in all things God works together for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
You don't have to feel stress about defending yourself or impressing other people.
"My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge." Psalm 62:7


4. Remember that God is wise, merciful, and faithful.
I don't know about you, but I have definitely come to realization that God is WAY smarter than I am. (Thank goodness, right?) He is omniscient and omnipotent, so I'd definitely say he knows more than anyone. I know there are times when we think that we may know what is best for us, but this is most often when we need to place our full reliance in God. I'd personally much rather trust in the Lord's plans for my life instead of trying to carve out my own plan. Because guess what? His plan will always be far greater and more wonderful than any plan we could ever make for ourselves.  

We don't have to fret over planning out our lives. 
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

We never have to worry that God will abandon us. 
"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels or demons, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39


5. Prayerfully remain in God's Word.
I know when I personally do not stay in constant communication with the Lord and consistently stay in His Word throughout the day, these are times when worry slips into my life. I allow myself to begin worrying over anything and everything, and I become anxious about different things going on in my life. When we constantly talk to God throughout the day, thanking Him for His continual blessings and asking Him for strength and help, worry will vanish as quickly as it appeared.

"Do not be anxious about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done." Philippians 4:6

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do no be afraid." John 14:27


Fully accepting God's peace is something I am working on daily in my life, and I am so thankful the Lord continually shows me His peace through His amazing love, mercy, and grace. Once we find the peace the Lord so desperately wants us to have, we will find a comfort in which nothing else in this life could ever offer. 
I hope these points and verses have given you a glimpse of the amazing, transcending peace of the Father, the only peace that passes all understanding.

Love & Blessings, 
Claire
💚

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Christ's Light Shine Through You

The Day My Heart Exploded

Weekend Getaway Trip