The Proposal -- 4.19.14

This past weekend was the absolute best of my life. On Saturday, April 19, 2014, Chad and I got ENGAGED!! :) I know I might be a little biased, but I think Chad's proposal was the sweetest, most thoughtful, most romantic proposal in the whole wide world. <3

Before I get to the actual proposal, I'd like to give you a little back story first:

A few months ago, my mom and I planned to do a mini beach trip since last week was my spring break. We rented a condo in Orange Beach for Thursday through Sunday, and we decided to make it a girls' weekend by inviting my best friend Chelsea and Chad's mom, Miss Robin. I wanted Chad to come, but because his senior project was due in a few days, he had to stay home to work on all his school work. Though I was sad he couldn't come, I had SO been looking forward to this beach trip since we planned it in January, and I could not wait to spend some time soaking up the sun and fellowshipping with three of my favorite ladies. (Little did I know what would be awaiting me on this trip in the end... hehe.)

So, on Thursday, my mom, Miss Robin, Chelsea, and I all packed up and headed to the gulf. Unfortunately, both Thursday and Friday we had cold, rainy weather, so we were all so ready for some warm sunshine. We got our wish though... because Saturday was absolutely gorgeous! We spent the first part of the day laying out on the beach, which was fabulous. We went back up to the condo around 2:30 to start getting ready for our sailboat ride, which was going to be from 4:30-6:30


Here's the story behind our going on a sailboat ride: 
On my mom's birthday the week before [Sunday, April 13], we were watching her open gifts at my grandparents' house. My brother and sister-in-law, David and Morgan, got her a gift, but before they gave it to her, David said he had something cool to give her first. He said that he had "won" a sailboat ride at an auction at their country club for four people on the Windy Ways, which was so awesome because that is the sailboat right across the canal from my Granny's old beach house. David said they couldn't go because Morgan was eight and a half months pregnant, and he thought it'd be perfect for us to use on our trip because the tickets "expired" in May. We know the captain of this sailboat and his wife very well because we grew up going to my Granny's place every single summer. When David told my mom about the tickets, I just thought it was the coolest thing ever because not only had I never been on a sailboat, but it was the same sailboat I grew up watching go out time after time. And how perfect the ride was for four people!! [They were all SO sneaky! haha.] I immediately texted Chelsea about this awesome new addition to our trip, and I called Chad to tell him to tell his mom about this fabulous ride we were going to get to do. They of course were so excited, too! [Even know the sneaky devils knew about it for months beforehand, hehe.] So, that's the story of how our sailboat ride came to be!

 After we all got dressed cute, we drove a few minutes to get ready to set sail on the Windy Ways. The sailboat ride was beautiful, SOOO windy but gorgeous nonetheless. We went up and down Wolf Bay, which is where I spent COUNTLESS hours throughout my childhood. Chelsea and I of course had to have a photo shoot while on the boat (everyone makes fun of my love for taking pictures of anything and everything, hehe). After two beautiful hours on the water, Mr. Skip (our fabulous captain) turned the boat back in to the canal to the boat's dock. After Chelsea and I took one last picture, I sat down between my mom and Miss Robin to get ready to dock, oblivious about what was to come. 




Now on to the actual engagement: :) :) :) 

After pulling in to the canal to dock the boat, I see some decorations (several lanterns and a banner) hanging from my Granny's old boathouse and assume the new owners of the lot are having some type of party. Here's where we are when Chelsea begins videoing (again oblivious to the fact that she was even doing that, hehe)...



If you can't tell, I had absolutely NO idea that Chad was going to propose at this time; my face says it all! haha. After I saw the sign where Chad asked me to marry him, I then saw him waiting for me on the dock across the water. He was dressed to the T and looking so incredibly handsome as he always does. It took Mr. Skip about 8-10 minutes to get the boat docked because the wind was so bad, but then I was finally able to get off to see my Chad! 

Here's the next video... :)
(It starts out sideways, but it turns back normal at the perfect time! Props to my sweet BFF, Chelsea, for the fabulous videos. She did SO good!)


(Also a huge thank you to my sister-in-law Morgan for taking so many FABULOUS pictures of the proposal!! They're perfect! :) I'm posting a few here, but to see all of them, check out my album on Facebook. :))









Chad's words during the proposal were the most beautiful ones I have ever heard, and they so perfectly reflected his love for Jesus and his love for me. He first told me that he thought we could both agree that we have been waiting for this moment for 6 years and 5 months now (amennnnnn!) and waiting not just for this moment but most importantly, waiting to spend the rest of our lives with the one God so perfectly made for each of us. (The tears started rolling even harder here!) As if that wasn't enough, he then told me that he knew from the moment he met me that he could not give up the opportunity to be with me and that he can't wait to spread the love of Jesus together through marriage. Then, he dropped to one knee and opened the most beautiful ring I have ever seen!!


 (Side note: I saw this ring almost a year ago and tried it on just for fun because it was so beautiful. Around that time, Chad told me that I needed to give him some ideas of what type of ring I liked since he said he didn't have a clue about them, haha. I showed him this and told him that I knew it would never be an option because it was so extravagant, but I told him that the two things I loved most was the infinity band and the halo around the center diamond. I figured he could kinda use it as a guide when picking out one he thought I would love.)

When he opened that beautiful little box and I saw the one he had chosen, I thought I was going to faint! Leave it to the sweetest man on the planet to choose my absolute dream ring. I am one blessed lady; that is for certain!!

After Chad proposed, both of our families came out from hiding, hehe. My dad, brother, and sister-in-law were there, and Chad's dad was there (along with my mom, Chad's mom, and Chelsea who were there too of course). Our good friend Josh also joined us later for dinner. I couldn't (and still can't) get over the fact that they all keep this HUGE secret hidden from me for MONTHS. They are so good!! Afterwards, they said they were all so happy for us but so relieved it was finally over so that they didn't have to tell any more fibs, haha! Each and every one of them helped make our special day absolutely perfect. 

I came to find out that earlier that day, my sweet fiance (still makes me squeal saying that, hehe) had been working since around noon prepping my Granny's boathouse and getting all of the strings ready for the lanterns to be hung on. That sweet boy was out on a ladder in the middle of the water and mud getting soaked (in his jeans, haha) just to make everything so perfect and beautiful! I can't get over his thoughtfulness and sweet heart. :) It makes mine melt every single time. 

After we hugged everyone and soaked it all in for a few minutes, we all hopped in our cars and drove right down the road to actually get over to my Granny's lot. We were able to take some beautiful pictures by the water with both the boathouse and the Windy Ways sailboat in the background. (Our families had such a great idea that we should go back and take engagement pictures on the sailboat and at the boathouse; I think that will be so perfect!)





Both of our families then joined one another and ate a celebratory dinner at Cobalt, which is a nice restaurant over the Perdido Pass bridge. It was so wonderful to spend that time with them thanking them for helping make this day wonderful. Chad and I are seriously blessed with the most precious families and best friends out there!!









I can officially say that aside from the day I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, April 19th, 2014 is the second best day of my life! I absolutely positively cannot wait to marry the man of my dreams and the one the Lord so perfectly created and molded so beautifully just for me. Chad and I have been seeking Christ and His will for our lives since the day we starting dating our sophomore year of high school, November 16, 2007. It has been a precious journey dating this man and growing up both physically and spiritually with him. We cannot wait to serve Jesus together as husband and wife and to strive daily to be His disciples.


My ultimate prayer is that whenever others see Chad and me that they see only Jesus. I pray that everything we say and do will be a reflection of the love Christ has for His people. I pray that our wedding is a small picture of Christ's love for His bride, the Church, and that our wedding day will be Christ-centered and Christ-focused. I pray that our marriage is blessed and that we continue to fervently serve our Lord all the days of our lives. He is worthy!!


I am on cloud nine, and I don't think I'll be coming down anytime soon, hehe. I am the happiest I have ever been, and I am SO excited and thrilled to start this brand new journey with the love of my life. Let the wedding planning begin!! :)

Love & Blessings,
Claire
💚

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Claire! You will be a beautiful bride.... happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Claire! Such a sweet testimony and proposal! I pray God blesses you and Chad with many, many blessings! I am so happy for you both. Mrs. Kay Battiste

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was simply beautiful! I literally sat in tears as I watched and read your story. I pray that your union will be eternally blessed. What an AWESOME love story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Christ's Light Shine Through You

The Day My Heart Exploded

Weekend Getaway Trip